Sunday, July 8, 2012

Interview with GALEYD



This interview is from before the three consecutive singles.



GALEYD is a band that has outstanding performance, singing skills and stage presence. Formed by Garo (vocals), Meku (guitar), Toki (bass) and Nikky (drums) this band has an aggressive sound blended with beautiful melody lines, so perfected that it is not easy to forget after one listen. It was a great surprise to read their bio that mentioned they started as a band only from January 2012 and in just 1 month, their 6 song EP, "Infitiuim" was released. They have been releasing 1 single a month from April for 3 consecutive months, portraying their diligence to make a name. VGJ had the opportunity to recently do an interview with GALEYD:

2012.5.17

-The members of GALEYD are technically skilled performers, and we can not help but be glued to your shows. Which artists influenced you to want to get into music?

Garo : I love Siam Shade and was greatly influence by them. I like artists that have solid melody lines. Glay, Luna Sea, Ryuichi Kawamura and L'Arc-en-Ciel were artists I listened to a lot.

Meku : I got into music when I listened to X Japan. I was attracted to their musicality then started listening to European metal, heavy metal and blues.

-We understand Meku does most of the songwriting but one can not help but be drawn into the way you combine metal elements with melodic phrases.

Garo : We don't limit ourselves to rock, we listen to a lot of vocal driven music and Japanese music as well. I try to incorporate these in our music as one of the elements.

Toki : For me, everything started out with Hide. I decided to be in a band when I saw him play. Taiji of X and Hitoki of Kuroyume, also King of Shakalabbits although they are a different genre, are my inspirations.

Nikky : My influences are also X. I started listening to aggressive metal and punk rock of foreign bands after I discovered and got into Yoshiki's heavy drumming. I listened to drumers of all sorts because I wanted to hone my skills but my foundation was always metal.

-All of you have artists in common of your "roots".

Garo : Yes, well not just these bands but, I listen to Kobukuro and Exile too, since I like vocal driven songs.

-That would be amazing to hear, do you have any plans to do a session of these?

Garo : I'd love to. An Exile song for a session.

Toki : It'll probably be aggressive lol

-You released the EP "Infitium" on February 22nd and have been consecutively releasing a single each month!
Garo : Each single of this consecutive release has a theme. The first one starts with "Genesis", the 2nd is "Loaded" and 3rd is "Destiny".

Nikky : The first single is GALEYD's specialty and goes right smack in the middle. The 2nd single focuses on the live aspect of the band and is a little heavier. The 3rd single is our first challenge in doing a ballad, and is quite dramatical.

-So with these 3 singles, the world of GALEYD is complete?

Toki : Yes, I hope you can listen to the many dimensions of GALEYD.

-Are there any experiences during the production of these releases that you can share with us?

Garo : We had a hard time fitting in the melody to a song that death vocals would fit in well. So we tried avoiding death vocals since we wanted to focus on the melody. We really put a lot of effort into this.
-Are there any areas we should pay close attention to?

Garo : I recommend the guitar!

-Meku's guitar techniques are really something! I was very surprised watching the live show. There are a lot of solos and very solid, sound-wise. Meku's guitar will be the core of GALEYD's music hereafter as well.

Meku : I'd like to blow them away with my guitar lol

-It's been only 4 months since GALEYD started out but what kind of band is GALEYD?

Garo : This band is my life.

Meku : It's a band we formed to be able to pursue whatever we want to express, so we'd like to fulfill this.

Toki : We feel that the members, listeners and staff are all one big family so that part will never change.

Nikky : A lot of drummers feel limited since they have to be the rhythm for the guitar and vocals but in this band, I'm able to drum as I please. There are heavy technical parts and quieter drumming so I can think of ways to express. It is a place that I can be myself.

-Lastly, please give the readers of this site a message.

Meku : I'd love to become united with the audience and tear up the venue!

Nikky : GALEYD is a band that is just starting so I'd like to expand with the listeners. Looking forward to your support!

Toki : If you listen to our music and felt intrigued by even a small part of it, hope you can come to our shows. You'll like it even more. I'll be waiting to see you at the venues!

Garo : I didn't write much of the lyrics up to recently when we started the 3 consecutive singles plan. They may look negative at first but actually it's breaking the shell of negativity and moving forward and has a positive outlook on things. I write these in hopes of everyone listening to GALEYD's music to be positive so I hope these feelings reach out to all of you.

Thank you very much, GALEYD.

After the 3 month consecutive single release, GALEYD will have their headlining show at Shibuya REX on August 3rd . They are a proficient band that will be highly talked about so hope all of you can listen to their music and come to their shows!

All the credits goes to VISUAL gose JAPAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment